Monitoring underground water resources in Brazil
The Coca-Cola FENSA plant in Mogi das Cruzes is responsible for bottling mineral water supplied from two ground water sources. The plant is a benchmark for environmental sustainability projects. With this pioneer project the Mogi das Cruzes plant was the first of the Coca-Cola FENSA Group to install an online analysis monitoring, using the OTT PLS and OTT DuoSens datalogger, along with other Hach technologies.
Robust ceramic pressure transducer for water level measurement
The OTT PLS, SDI-12 or 4 ... 20 mA pressure probe, measures water level, depth to water, or pressure using an integrated controller and ceramic pressure-measuring cell.
- Surface water Groundwater
- Vented pressure cell
- Water level, Pressure, Temperature
- Water level and temperature measurement - for use with external data logger
- 0 … 4, 10, 20, 40, and 100 m
- ± 0.05% FS
- SDI-12, RS-485 (using SDI-12), or 4 … 20 mA
- The monitoring system consists of a level and temperature probe with a ceramic pressure sensor. It is fitted with a vented cable to compensate for barometric pressure, a digital conductivity sensor, a combined digital pH electrode, a Digital SC200 controller to connect the pH and conductivity sensors via a plug & play type digital interface with a bright LCD display, an OTT Duosens datalogger with SDI12 interface, and an analog extension to interface with the SC200 controller, and GSM / GPRS modem.
- The level sensor was installed in a 1" tube at a depth of 150m, the pH and conductivity sensors were installed in a flow cell through ½" hole made in the main pipe.
- All sensors were connected to an OTT Duosens datalogger with a GSM / GPRS modem, transmitting data hourly to the Coca-Cola FENSA FTP server.
- The SDI-12 serial communication reduces power consumption and enables simultaneous monitoring of the water temperature.
- The use of a robust ceramic level sensor with a ventilated cable reduces the cost of maintenance and real compensation of the variation in water density of the water column, as a function of temperature.
- The Kevlar coated cable does not loop and therefore does not give any misleading impressions that the water level is rising with time.