Precipitation monitoring in the Sierra Nevada - Spain
This OTT Pluvio² precipitation measuring station “Tajos de Breca” is situated 2470 meters (8103.67 feet) above sea level at the southern slope of the Sierra Nevada for long term meteorological data collection. The station forms part of a measuring network named “Project Guadalfeo” which is financed by the Andalusian government and the responsible water authority.
All-weather, high accuracy rain gauge for continuous data collection
The OTT Pluvio² is an all-weather precipitation gauge that uses superior weight-based technology to measure the amount and intensity of rain, snow, and hail.
- Cumulative precipitation, precipitation intensity, bucket content in real time and non real time
- Weighing principle
- All-weather precipitation gauge without moving parts according to WMO guide line No. 8
- SDI-12 / RS-485, pulse
- The autarkic meteorological station “Tajos de Breca” was perfectly integrated into the existing measuring network of the Guadalfeo project.
- “Tajos de Breca” is equipped with high-class meteorological sensors, data memory, data transmission via modem and solar power.
- The old precipitation measurement system which was replaced by OTT Pluvio² had been a balancing system which could not provide the required accuracy of data.
- By means of comprehensive algorithms and calculation models, the OTT Pluvio² is capable of monitoring precipitation quantity and intensity regardless of whether precipitation comes as rain or snow. Parameters like temperature and wind influences are filtered out.
- Maintenance for the OTT Pluvio² is remarkably simple, just visual inspections and one instrument check per year. The container must be emptied at a filling level of 80%, the filling level being a value which is transmitted with the measurement data to a control center.
- The data of “Tajos de Breca” was used to develop calculation models for snow melt / spring runoff (Herrero, 2007, www.ugr.es)