Monitoring ditch water quality using OTT ecoN, Hydrolab HL4 and XLink 500
The RIVM in the Netherlands is using the OTT ecoN and the Hydrolab HL4, connected to an XLink 500 datalogger, to monitor the temporal variation of nutrients in ditch water. The data is sent to Hydromet Cloud.
The goal of this project (WaterSNIP) is to improve the efficiency of the monitoring using water quality sensors and to monitor the water quality on a smaller scale (from regional to local). In the Minerals Policy Monitoring Programme (LMM) RIVM samples the ditch water 7 times a year. These samples are analyzed in the laboratory on a wide range of parameters, for the WFD-standards, total-N and total-P are important. RIVM measures at a high frequency to calculate a more accurate average of the concentrations in the ditch. Also, it improves the understanding of the leaching of nutrients from farm lands to the ditch and the chemical and biological processes that are involved.
Measuring Total-N and Total-P in real time is only possible using an expensive and power-hungry analyzer (lab-in-a-can). The ecoN can measure NO3.
The Hydrolab HL4 measures, Temperature, Conductivity, pH, Dissolved oxygen and Turbidity. RIVM is investigating the relation of these parameters with the variation of nutrients (from lab analyses and ecoN) in the ditch. In this way they examine whether the parameters of the HL4 can be used as a proxy (derivative parameter) for Total-P and Total-N. The ecoN and HL4 take readings every 15 minutes. The data is sent to HydrometCloud webserver. The complete system is powered by a 20 Wp solar panel. The XLink 500 is equipped with an internal Solar regulator that charges the integrated 7 Ah battery.
Low maintenance UV nitrate sensor
Advancing UV nitrate sensors, the OTT ecoN combines field reliability with a user friendly, low operational cost, future ready platform. It uses optical UV absorption technology for the determination of nitrate concentrations in fresh surface and groundwater.
- Attended Unattended
- Ethernet Data Logger RS-485 (Modbus RTU)
- Smart optical technology, access with web browser, optional anti-fouling wiper, calibration verification, fexible application options
- Ethernet (TCP/IP), RS-485 (Modbus RTU), SDI-12 (via converter)
Streamlined Data Management Across All Devices
Hydromet Cloud provides secure real-time data access from almost anywhere in the world via HydrometCloud.com and the Hydromet Cloud Mobile App
- Hydrology, Meteorology
- Web interface, iOS and Android Mobile Apps
- Web-based data management and alerts, available across all mobile devices!
Multi-Sensor Input Logger with data transmission via lridium or Cellular
Sutron’s XLink product family offers a cost-effective Wi-Fi enabled datalogger with data transmission via Iridium or Cellular.
- USB-Host RS-232 Cellular Data Logger RS-232 and RS-485 Switchable SDI-12 power Iridium
- Plug and play modem, custom programming with Python Scripts (XLlink500), up to 32 measurements, log up to 1,000,000 readings, USB flash drive, secure communication (TLS 1.2 ciphers), multiple interfaces and protocols (HTTP,TCP/IP,FTP), and 3 levels of security to configure, perform maintenance or access data
- SDI-12, RS-232, RS-485
New Hydrolab Platform: Reliability, Ease-of-use, Metadata
The Hydrolab HL4 is the next generation multiparameter water quality sonde from OTT Hydromet. Its reliability, ease-of-use, and metadata produce water quality data you can trust.
- Attended Unattended
- Temperature, Conductivity, Depth, pH, Dissolved Oxygen (LDO), Turbidity, ORP, Clorophyll a, Blue-green algae, Rhodamine, Ammonium, Nitrate, Chloride
- The next generation multiparameter water quality instrument
- SDI-12, RS-485, RS-232, TTY, USB