Weather stations for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
For real-time meteorological data at the XXII Winter Olympic and XI Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi from February–March 2014, 29 specialized automatic meteorological stations (AMS) were installed in the areas close to the Olympic sport venues from 2010-2013. This was in addition to the regular observation network that provided data for the weather now-casting system supplied and operated by MeteoExpert.
To measure the amount of liquid, solid and mixed type precipitation, ten OTT Pluvio² all-weather precipitation gauges were installed by engineers of IRAM, a partner company of MeteoExpert. Each precipitation gauge was connected to the logger of a corresponding weather station MAWS301 (produced by Vaisala).
All-weather, high accuracy rain gauge for continuous data collection
The OTT Pluvio² is an all-weather precipitation gauge that uses superior weight-based technology to measure the amount and intensity of rain, snow, and hail.
- Cumulative precipitation, precipitation intensity, bucket content in real time and non real time
- Weighing principle
- All-weather precipitation gauge without moving parts according to WMO guide line No. 8
- SDI-12 / RS-485, pulse
- Weather stations equipped with 10 OTT Pluvio² all-weather precipitation gauges were installed on both banks of river Mzimta at heights of 180 – 1455 meters within an area of 12 km by 15 km.
- Each was connected to a logger of corresponding weather station MAWS301 (Vaisala).
- Data was collected with 10 min interval.
- Each of the stations was connected to the collection center via two (basic and reserve) communications channels.
- Precipitation data volume met the requirements of Roshydromet (the Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring in Russia) and included mean and maximum values of precipitation intensity and amount in 1, 10, 60, and 180 minutes.
- Areal control of precipitation amount in mountain cluster presented a strong agreement in precipitation data from different weather stations.