Control of Dredging Works in the Danube River - Austria
The Austrian waterway management has introduced an automatic system to monitor a series of barges, which calculates the dredged material as a basis for handling invoices of the dredging companies. Before converting to a remote data transmission option, all calculations were entered manually.
The datalogger saves the cost for hand-writing documentation of the dredging works by external staff and guarantees an automatic and standardized procedure of cubature calculations.
Data loggers for remote data collection & long term monitoring
The versatile OTT netDL 500 and 1000 data loggers were developed specifically for use in hydrology and meteorology stations. In addition to recording data, the loggers are extremely low power and offer flexible data transfer options via the internet and mobile networks, providing a logging and telemetry solution for every project.
- Ethernet USB-Host USB-Device RS-232 Satellite Cellular Industrial Communication
- High data availability due to large memory and redundant communication, Multitasking capability for short polling cycles, Communication via TCP/IP, Integrated Web Server, Ultra low power consumption, Design for harsh environments, Industrial communication
- SDI-12, RS-485 (SDI-12), Modbus RTU, analogue-in (voltage and current), Impulse Input, Status Input
Robust ceramic pressure transducer for water level measurement
The OTT PLS, SDI-12 or 4 ... 20 mA pressure probe, measures water level, depth to water, or pressure using an integrated controller and ceramic pressure-measuring cell.
- Surface water Groundwater
- Vented pressure cell
- Water level, Pressure, Temperature
- Water level and temperature measurement - for use with external data logger
- 0 … 4, 10, 20, 40, and 100 m
- ± 0.05% FS
- SDI-12, RS-485 (using SDI-12), or 4 … 20 mA
- Until 2010, the level marks of the dredging barges provided the basis for the calculation of the cubatures of dredged material and were usually read out by the dredging companies. The via donau made only random checks for plausibility.
- As the via donau had doubts about the accuracy of the data, they decided to use their own personnel for uninterrupted control of the dredging barges.
- For the dredging works in the river Danube the volume of dredged gravel is evaluated by converting the read-out level marks of the barges into water displacement volumes on the basis of a calibration table. (Before the use of the datalogger, all measurements were inputted by hand).
- To reduce the cost for external documentation and to guarantee an automatic and standardized procedure for cubature calculations, an automatic system has been introduced, monitoring the draught of the barges and also evaluating the cubatures.
- This data now provides a reliable basis for correct billing of dredging works.
- The barges were equipped with OTT PLS pressure probes which are installed at the point of the level marks inside the barges.
- In a shipyard a lockable pipe was welded into the wall of the barge for this purpose.
- The evaluation and the calculation of the dredged material is made directly in the OTT netDL500 and can be controlled by the crew members, directly from the display.
- The data is monitored in 15 minute intervals and transmitted hourly via GPRS modem to the purchaser via donau.
- The system is modular, the control cabinet is connected to the barge by a standard plug and can be removed at any time.
- Further it is possible to upgrade the system with a GPS sensor. Actually the vessel’s position is recorded externally by „DoRis Tracks“.
- The dredging works are now continuously monitored. Loads can be reliably determined at any time.
- Thanks to the efficiency of the netDL500 and the PLS an external power supply is not required.