Water quality monitoring at the "Klingenberg" dam in Saxony, DE
The Klingenberg dam is located in the Free State of Saxony and serves the drinking water supply of Dresden and large parts of the former Weißeritzkreis area. Besides, it contributes to flood protection and, to a small extent, to energy generation.
The sensors were installed at three sampling points (E1, E3, E6) in March 2019, using a multi-channel unit
(magnetic shut-off valves). This made it possible to monitor three water horizons (surface, middle and bottom
of the water body) at the dam with one probe. The monitoring of the horizons was carried out every hour.As part of regular sampling in an
interval between two and up to four weeks, both chemical and microbiological water quality parameters were determined in the laboratory. These measurements also served to verify the measured values recorded by the multiparameter probe:
- Oxygen concentration
- Oxygen saturation
- Electrical conductivity
- Chlorophyll a
The multiparameter probe was used to monitor the raw water quality at three different withdrawal horizons of the Klingenberg drinking water reservoir over a period of one year. The measured values corresponded very well with the reference values of the laboratory. It is to be noted that the operation of the probe was absolutely lowmaintenance over the entire period.
- Overall very good correspondence between laboratory and online measured values
- Slightly overestimated chlorophyll concentration by OTT probe, yet trends are correctly represented
- OTT probe proved stable and low maintenance operation
- No growth of coliform bacteria – yet the year 2019 can be used as "blank value" (comparison year without microbiological problems)
Water Quality Measurement Instrument
The HYDROLAB HL7 multiparameter sonde offers a versatile, durable and practical solution for long-term continuous and profile monitoring for both simple and complex deployments.
- Attended Unattended
- Temperature, Conductivity, Depth, pH, Dissolved Oxygen (LDO), Turbidity, ORP, Blue-Green Algae, Chlorophyll a, Ammonium, Nitrate, Chloride
- The next generation multiparameter water quality instrument
- SDI-12, RS-485, RS-232, TTY, USB
Data loggers for remote data collection & long term monitoring
The versatile OTT netDL 500 and 1000 data loggers were developed specifically for use in hydrology and meteorology stations. In addition to recording data, the loggers are extremely low power and offer flexible data transfer options via the internet and mobile networks, providing a logging and telemetry solution for every project.
- Ethernet USB-Host USB-Device RS-232 Satellite Cellular Industrial Communication
- High data availability due to large memory and redundant communication, Multitasking capability for short polling cycles, Communication via TCP/IP, Integrated Web Server, Ultra low power consumption, Design for harsh environments, Industrial communication
- SDI-12, RS-485 (SDI-12), Modbus RTU, analogue-in (voltage and current), Impulse Input, Status Input